Tuesday, October 12, 2010

85701 - Mid Sem Break

Public Art

One of the best things about our project, I think, is the blurring of lines between art and design. I guess one thing I don't like much about my professional degree (fashion) is how tailored it becomes to what will sell - it limits the creativity. I think in design projects like situational city, we can use that creativity in more of an artistic way rather than minimising our work for the consumerist world.

In the semester break I saw a lot of the art & about exhibition around the city.



One work in particular reminded me a lot of our group's project. It focuses on images of Sydney sider individuals, showing a range of ages, sexualities, ethnicities, and vocations, essentially the City of Sydney's eight target groups* - (children, young people, older people, women, Aboriginal people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability and gay, lesbian and transgender people).


We're aiming to do something similar with out film sequences, focusing on the quirky details that make each individual special.

Through Lucas Ihlein, I've gotten in touch with David Urquhart, a very charistmatic, interesting man who works at the MCA. He has agreed to "star" in one of our sequences. I'm building a storyboard surrounding some of his own eccentricities as part of our "older man" demographic. Hopefully we'll have most of our trial and error filming work done by this week and we can start filming! I'm very optimistic about Open House. I think some of the project are really cool and the night will be an awesome success.



*City of Sydney 2006- 2010, Social Policy and Social Plan, viewed 12 October 2010 <http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/council/formspoliciespublication/SocialPlan.asp>

No comments:

Post a Comment